Monday, May 16, 2011

He's Family...


Before people have children a lot of times they will start with a family pet. In 2005, I begged Dan to buy me a Golden Retriever. After a lot of persuasion on my part, he finally gave in and got me one. Drake was 8 weeks old when we brought him home with us in August of 2005. He has been my great buddy since then. Dan had told me that Drake was MINE and he had nothing to do with raising him. I think that lasted all of 1 month until Dan realized what a wonderful dog we had. Drake has been my best friend, my shoulder to cry on and my bed partner many times. And as I laid with my nose nuzzled into his thick, golden fur last night, I couldn't help but think of all the wonderful times we have had with him and how blessed we are that he ended up in our home. I have often said that Drake was my first baby! Before Emma came along a lot of people told me my feelings for Drake would change once I looked into the eyes of my human baby, but I can tell you that they didn't. I was just as excited for him to meet her and wanted them to be great buddies. I felt at times that I was the mother of 2 children....when Drake barked-Emma cried, when Emma cried-Drake barked. Drake was not thrilled when Emma became mobile and started crawling around on all fours like himself, but when she popped up on 2 legs they became great friends. He is so gentle, so loving and so tolerable with her. I love to watch her shower him with love as she has watch us do so many times. She loves him and is now calling him "Her doggie". Drake is not just a family pet....HE'S FAMILY!!!

                                     
Drake's face when he heard Emma cry for the 1st time!




He's so patient with her!

A face that melts your heart!







No comments:

Post a Comment